On Air Now

Non Stop Beyond

Midnight - 6:00am

Now Playing

Kenny Thomas

Thinking About Your Love

Lancaster City beaten by Warrington Rylands comeback

Nic Evangelinos' effort for Lancaster is saved by Luke Pilling. Photo by Warrington Rylands' photographer John Hopkins

Lancaster City couldn’t make it six wins in seven games as they lost 2-1 at Warrington Rylands.

Rudy Misambo gave the Dollies the lead but the hosts turned the game on its head through a Mo Touray penalty and a great finish from Osebi Abadaki.

Lancaster were forced to play with 10 men for the last 15 minutes after Niall Cowperthwaite committed two bookable offences.

Warrington Rylands started the slightly better side. Sam Egerton’s header drifted just past the post before Sam Waller in the Lancaster goal was tested by a free kick from Joe Adams.

It was then Rylands’ keeper Luke Pilling’s turn to be called into action, making a brilliant stop to deny Nic Evangelinos from opening the scoring.

A few moments later there was controversy as the ball looked to have crossed the line from the subsequent corner, but the referee waved the shouts away.

The Dollies got themselves in front when a trademark Sam Bailey long throw found Rudy Misambo who headed the ball into the top corner from close range.

They weren’t ahead for long though. Pawel Zuk was adjudged to have fouled Adams just within the 18-yard box and the referee pointed to the spot, much to the chagrin of the Lancaster players and staff. Mo Touray stepped up and converted the spot kick.

Lancaster started the second half well, looking to get themselves ahead again – Sam Bailey had a great opportunity to restore their lead direct from a free kick, but Pilling got down to save his driven effort.

The hosts grew into the second period and just before the hour mark, Osebi Abadaki broke clear of the Lancaster defence and looped the ball over the onrushing Sam Waller.

Niall Cowperthwaite was sent off after being given a second yellow, making Lancaster’s objective to get something from this game even more challenging.

Centre-back Misambo could have got his second of the game to clinch a draw but the ball went just wide. Fellow defender Nathan woodthorpe had City’s final chance of the game but it didn’t trouble Pilling.

Lancaster boss Mark Fell expressed his frustration at his side’s lack of consistency.

“We do really well, three or four games, get ourselves back into something, we mention it to the players and the players themselves see an opportunity and we don’t make the most of situations," he said.

Fell was also disgruntled by the referee’s decisions.

“I thought the referee in the first half absolutely killed us. I’ve seen the video – the first one is over the line, should he 1-0, then Rudy for 2-0, [it’s a] different game.

“The ball’s run out of play for the penalty, he gives the softest penalty I’ve ever seen. Pawel’s just stood there and the lad’s thrown himself [to the ground ].

“First half, I didn’t have much negative to say, I think we were undone by a couple of horrific refereeing decisions, but in the second half you can’t come out and play like that.”

The defending for Rylands’ winner particularly annoyed Fell.

“All we said at half time was manage the counter, if we’ve got territory and opportunities, manage the counter. Ten minutes in, eyes get greedy, big throw down the line, we don’t win the first contact and it’s one v one.”

Lancaster City’s next game is a midweek trip to the NPL Premier Division‘s second bottom side Liversedge on Tuesday (April 4).

Their next game at the Giant Axe is on Saturday (April 8) versus Gainsborough Trinity.

More from Local Sport

Recently Played Songs

  • 12:52am

    Thinking About Your Love

    Kenny Thomas

  • 12:49am

    Never Can Say Goodbye

    Gloria Gaynor

  • 12:45am

    Woman Like Me (feat. Nicki Minaj)

    Little Mix