On Air Now

Non Stop Beyond

Midnight - 7:00am

Now Playing

Doobie Brothers

What a Fool Believes

Report, reaction & highlights: Morecambe 1-2 Cambridge Utd

Morecambe's search for their first home League One victory of the season goes on after a late 2-1 defeat to Cambridge at the Mazuma.

Click here for highlights of the game, reaction and much more in the latest episode of The Shrimps Verdict Podcast

After taking the lead on 12 minutes through Jensen Weir, Jack Lankester equalised 20 minutes later before the U's completed their comeback three minutes from time through Harvey Knibbs.

Kieran Phillips enjoyed a lively start and found himself in space to run in to down the right, but his cross was comfortably collected by Dimitar Mitov in the visitors’ goal.

Cambridge grew into the game and carved out a flurry of corners, four to be exact, with Ripley catching the latter, before launching a deadly Morecambe counterattack.

Former United man Weir found himself with the ball at his feet and charging down on goal before unleashing a powerful strike inside the near post to fire the Shrimps ahead on 12 minutes.

Mark Bonner’s men looked to respond, with two big chances inside a minute, when a Paul Digby cross found Sam Smith in the box on 20 minutes, but his tame effort was held by Ripley.

Seconds later and it was Smith again who fired a stronger effort at goal from close range, but Ripley did well once more.

The U’s perseverance paid off on 32 minutes when the ball fell to Lankester inside the Morecambe box, who calmly slotted into the bottom right corner to equalise.

From there, both sides were able to threaten, with Cole Stockton forcing Mitov into a save whereas, three minutes before the break, George Williams rose highest to meet a corner at the back post, but his effort lacked direction and went wide.

Four minutes into the second half and it was nearly the perfect start for Morecambe as Phillips picked up possession to the right of the visitors’ box, but he could only drag his effort wide.

The Shrimps came close again on 52 minutes when Donald Love managed to pick out Phillips with an excellent cross from the right, but his header went wide.

Cambridge’s first chance of the second half came via George Williams two minutes later, but Ripley did well to deny his low, powerful strike.

The visitors came close shortly after as Smith did well to lob the ball over Ripley and pick up possession once more, but after doing all the hard work, his resulting shot nestled the side-netting.

As the game became more open, with both side’s testing each other’s defensive resolve, it was Adam May’s turn to try his luck, but a deflection took the sting out of his strike as the ball sailed behind for a corner.

Nine minutes from time and Liam Gibson came close with his driven effort from the edge of the penalty area, but the ball sailed narrowly over.

It was the visitors who managed to find the target three minutes from time as substitute Harvey Knibbs slammed home from close range.

More from Local Sport

Local Business Partners

Recently Played Songs