On Air Now

Luke's Musical Jukebox

11:00pm - Midnight

Now Playing


Saturday Night

Report, highlights and reaction: Morecambe 3-2 Lincoln City

Photo credit: Jack Taylor

Morecambe's fight to stay in League One goes to the final day of the season after a dramatic 3-2 win over Lincoln at the Mazuma.

Click here for the latest episode of The Shrimps Verdict Podcast

Stockton fashioned the first opening for the Shrimps on 25 minutes when he worked some space for himself on the edge of the box, but saw his effort go just wide of Carl Rushworth’s post.

Morecambe then came close to opening the scoring just before the half-hour mark when Jensen Weir and Arthur Gnahoua exchanged passes before Weir was denied at point blank range by Rushworth.

The Imps then opened the scoring a minute later when Lasse Sorensen was left in space on the right-hand side of the penalty area and his drive found the far corner.

Weir curled an effort wide on the edge of the area, before Connor Ripley pulled off a fantastic save to stop Lincoln doubling their lead moments before the break as he kept out Danny Mandroiu’s volley at full stretch.

The Imps doubled their lead three minutes into the second half when the ball was cut back to Matty Virtue who found the bottom left corner from the edge of the area.

Bur Morecambe got themselves straight back into the contest a minute later when Stockton’s superb looping effort beat Rushworth from the edge of the box after being found by Jensen Weir.

Dan Crowley came agonisingly close to levelling the scores on the hour mark when he twisted and turned to find himself into some space inside the penalty area, but his low effort came back off the post.

The visitors hit the post themselves five minutes later when Mandroiu raced in on goal and his effort hit the outside of the post and went wide.

It was Morecambe who levelled the scoring seconds later when substitute Oumar Niasse beat Rushworth to a high ball from Jake Taylor and headed home from the edge of the area, for his first goal for the club.

The Imps hit the woodwork for the second time when a curling cross from the left was met by Paudie O’Connor who headed his effort onto the crossbar on 77 minutes.

A dramatic comeback was complete five minutes from time when Ash Hunter curled a free kick from midway inside the Lincoln half straight onto the head of Stockton who headed into the top right corner of the net, to send the Mazuma Stadium faithful into absolute delirium.

The result, Morecambe’s third in a row, moves the Shrimps to just goal difference away from safety, going into the final game of the season on Sunday May 7, against Exeter City.

More from Local Sport

Recently Played Songs

Up next on Beyond Radio