On Air Now

Weekend Breakfast

7:00am - 9:00am

Now Playing

Franz Ferdinand

Do You Want To

Report, highlights & reaction: Morecambe 0-3 Doncaster Rovers

Photo credit: Jack Taylor

Morecambe slipped five points from the League Two play offs after a disappointing afternoon at the Mazuma Mobile Stadium.

Click here for the latest episode of The Shrimps Verdict Podcast

A Luke Molyneux brace and a late goal from Tommy Rowe meant Doncaster Rovers left Morecambe with all three points; the Shrimps struggling to get going at the Mazuma Mobile Stadium.

Despite a bright start from the home side, Rovers opened the scoring in the 11th minute, as Luke Molyneux slotted the ball into the back of the net on the counter attack.

In the 22nd minute, the visitors won a free-kick on the edge of the box and Molyneux’s low effort hit the bottom corner doubling their advantage.

On the half hour mark Morecambe’s number 15, Chris Stokes, made a vital clearance to deny Doncaster Rovers their third, as the ball rolled towards goal.

With just over 10 minutes of the first half left to play, Charlie Brown won a free kick which was whipped across the area to the feet of Jordan Slew. Slew crossed the ball across the face of the net but Ged Garner, who was waiting at the far stick, was unable to connect.

In the second minute of injury time, David Tutonda drove down the left before squaring the ball to the feet of Garner however; his shot was blocked. The Shrimps went into the break with work to do.

Doncaster started strongly after the break, and 10 minutes into the second half Stokes and Mair worked well together to clear and prevent Rovers increasing their advantage.

Just moments later, the Morecambe defence were called into action again but an excellent tackle from Tutonda denied the visitors.

In the 71st minute, Joe Adams and Joel Senior combined well in the box before Senior looked to slot the ball in at the near post but Thimothee Lo-Tutala was there to block his effort.

With 15 minutes left to play Rovers were applying the pressure, with Adelakun coming close, but Senior was in the right place to block and clear the danger.

With two minutes of normal time to play, Morecambe had two chances in quick succession. JJ McKiernan’s shot from the edge of the box was blocked by the number of Rovers bodies before Nelson Khumbeni’s curling effort drifted just wide of the far post.

In the 89th minute, Adams forced a huge save from the Rovers goalkeeper who palmed the ball away, yet again keeping the Shrimps out. 

One minute into injury time, the ball was squared to Tommy Rowe, who finished first time to make it three to Doncaster Rovers.

Substitutes Jordy Hiwula and Julian Larsson both came close to grabbing a goal back for the hosts, but both failed to find the target.

After Lo-Tutala collected a late free-kick from the Shrimps, Darren Drysdale blew his whistle to call an end to play.

Morecambe: Mair, Tutonda (Rawson, 78), Bedeau (C), Garner (Hiwula, 78’), Senior, Slew (Larsson, 78’), Stokes, Taylor (McKiernan, 61’) , Edwards, Brown (Adams, 61’), Khumbeni.

Subs not used: Smith, Songo’o.

Goals: None.

Bookings: Edwards, Taylor

Doncaster Rovers: Lo-Tutala, Sterry, Maxwell, Olowu, Wood (C), Molyneux (Westbrooke, 84’), Biggins (Rowe, 26’), Bailey, Ironside (Biamou, 73’), Craig, Adelakun (Hurst, 84’).

Subs not used: Jones, Broadbent, McGrath.

Goals: Molyneux (11’, 22’), Rowe (90+1').

Bookings: Adelakun, Craig, Sterry.

Attendance: 4,136 (741 away).

More from Local Sport

Local Business Partners

Recently Played Songs