On Air Now

Beth Across the Bay

Noon - 2:55pm

Now Playing

JP Cooper

September Song

Connelly the star as Lancaster produce fantastic comeback at Radcliffe

Jake Connelly made a huge impact during Lancaster's fightback. Photo by Phil Dawson (@PhotosbyPhilD)

Lancaster City produced a stunning fightback to come from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Radcliffe.

Jake Connelly, making his first appearance since September after suffering a few injury setbacks, was named man of the match for his impact as a sub.

Connelly was key to the Dollies’ comeback at Neuven Stadium on Tuesday (January 24).

The hosts headed into the break 1-0 up thanks to a Michael Brewster strike and their lead was extended with around 25 minutes of the game to go through Luca Navarro.

Connelly halved the deficit before Brad Carsley’s finish made it two apiece.

Radcliffe started the game as the slightly better side. The closest they came to a breakthrough before they got the opener was from a Luca Navarro effort that went wide of goal.

Defender Jamie Mellen was taken off for Paul Jarvis halfway through the first period with an injury.

Captain Andy Teague was also forced off with a broken arm. Having already suffered one injury crisis this season, Lancaster will be hoping that this isn’t the start of more misfortune on the physio’s bench.

Michael Brewster was making his first league appearance for the Boro' and got a goal just before the half hour mark when he beat his man and got on the end of a corner.

There were few noteworthy moments between the first and second goal, the latter coming midway through the second half. Luke Joyce’s effort was deflected towards Navarro who fired in a shot from close range.

The momentum of the game switched completely from that moment. Jake Connelly was introduced on the 70th minute and caused problems for Radcliffe almost immediately.

He drew a save from Radcliffe ‘keeper Tom Stewart and was on the scoresheet mere moments later- striking the ball from just outside the box and it found the far corner.

Brad Carsley equalised for the Dollies, receiving Charlie Bailey’s cross and coolly slotting the ball past Stewart.

Carsley and Radcliffe’s Joe Piggott had an opportunities to win the game for their respective teams but both chances were denied by the goalkeepers.

There was a brief moment in added time when Lancaster players and fans alike thought they had won the game, but Connelly was in an offside position as he tapped the ball into the back of the net.

It’s the fourth draw in a row for Mark Fell’s men and a result that keeps Lancaster 16th.

Lancaster City’s next game is a home game against Matlock Town on Saturday (January 28).

More from Local Sport

Recently Played Songs