On Air Now

Non Stop Beyond

Midnight - 6:00am

Now Playing

Harry Styles


Valiant Lancaster City exit FA Trophy in heartbreaking fashion

Lancaster City celebrate their goal on Saturday. Photo by Phil Dawson (@PhotosbyPhilD)

Lancaster City were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Chester but deserved so much more from the game.

Lancaster indisputably had the better chances of the match on Saturday at the Deva Stadium, but football is a cruel sport and Chester scored twice in the final 20 minutes to turn the game on its head after Sam Bailey bagged the opener for City.

The game started fairly evenly. Chester’s Alex Kenyon , formerly of Lancaster City and Morecambe, headed wide from a free kick. Dale Whitham fired past the post from the edge of the box in Lancaster’s first effort of the game.

Chester had one or two good chances as the half progressed. Ollie Heywood’s driven effort was held by Dollies keeper Sam Waller, and Declan Weeks’ powerful shot grazed the bar.

After that, Sam Bailey was the centre of attention in the first half. After one effort whistled past the post, and another sailed over the bar, he gave the visitors the lead in acrobatic style, jumping high to rifle a volley into the net.

Bailey was causing problems again just before the break, this time whipping a ball into the box which Dale Whitham met, his effort just too high or it would have been two for City.

Chester started the second half aggressively, pushing for an equaliser. Kenyon had an effort from around 40 yards out saved comfortably by Waller.

Lancaster were denied a second when Brad Carroll, through one on one, had his shot saved by the extended leg of Chester ‘keeper Harry Tyrer.

The visitors had another chance to extend the lead, and it was quite unbelievable that they couldn’t take it. David Norris’ close range shot was saved by Tyrer and deflected but was still within yards of the goalmouth. Nic Evangelinos tried to stick it in but Tyrer was there to parry it out for a corner.

Chester equalised when Kurt Willoughby latched onto a through ball and tucked it home.

City had performed so well over the course of the 90, and it looked as if the tie would be decided in the harshest way possible – penalties. However, just seconds into added time, the hosts took the lead – Willoughby bagged his brace by getting round the keeper and rolling it in.

More from Local Sport

Recently Played Songs