On Air Now

Beyond Afternoons

2:00pm - 6:00pm

Now Playing

Sia & Kylie Minogue

Dance Alone

Ten-man Lancaster City’s winning league run ends in feisty affair

Lancaster City's Dale Whitham. Photo by Phil Dawson (@PhotosbyPhilD)

Lancaster City were second best against Marine AFC as they lost 3-1 at the Giant Axe.

Three days after a fairly uneventful 1-0 defeat to Bamber Bridge, a team many consider a fierce rival, in the LFA Challenge Trophy, it seemed like it was during this game when the heat of the moment got to Lancaster, and their opponents too – 13 yellow cards were brandished by the referee over the course of the game.

The game on Saturday started at 12.30pm. The early kick off was due to a potential fixture clash at 3pm had England finished second in their World Cup group.

The Dollies only went in 1-0 down to the Mariners at half time and showed signs of improvement after the break, but a red card for Jamie Mellen made it even harder for them to properly get back into the game, which ultimately ended 3-1.

The hosts made a slow start and Marine attacked from the off.

Sol Solomon’s effort from a cross was just a little too high but he opened the scoring just a few minutes later – Lucas Weir’s header was turned onto the post by Sam Waller but he could do nothing about Solomon’s rebounded effort, which was one of the simplest goals he’ll ever score in his career.

In truth, despite a spell of action in Marine’s half after the goal, Lancaster never really looked like scoring in the first 45 and could have been heading into the tunnel at half time two goals down had it not been for Walker tipping over Mo Touray’s effort.

There had already been a heated coming together between players towards the end of the first half, and when Jamie Mellen brought down Andrew Scarisbrick just a matter of moments after receiving a booking on 50 minutes, he was sent for an early bath, leaving Lancaster with an even tougher job to do.

Sol Solomon bagged a brace for the Mariners when he scored directly from a corner, the ball missing everybody before nestling in the far side of the net.

Dale Whitham halved the deficit in what was Lancaster’s first real chance of promise in the game, firing the ball home from Kyle Brownhill’s low cross. It was the first time Marine had conceded in over a month.

Lamine Toure, who joined Lancaster on loan from Bolton Wanderers last week, brought down Solomon in the box with 10 minutes of normal time remaining. The referee pointed to the spot with no hesitation, but Marine’s number 10 didn’t get his hat trick as he fired way over from 12 yards.

Despite Lancaster’s spells of pressure in added time, Marine went up the other end and got their third goal through substitute Connor Evans.

After four league wins on the bounce, things had been starting to look up for City so Saturday’s defeat will bs a frustrating one to take.

Lancaster City now have a midweek off to try and put this result behind them and prepare for the trip to Nantwich Town next Saturday (December 10).

More from Local Sport

Local Business Partners

Recently Played Songs