On Air Now

The Resident

6:00pm - 8:00pm

Now Playing

The Four Tops

Loco in Acapulco

Frustrated Lancaster City lose to league leaders Radcliffe 

Lancaster City were frustrated by league leaders Radcliffe. Image by Michael Porter Photography

Lancaster City were beaten 2-1 at home by top of the league Radcliffe.

However, a draw would not have been an unfair result in Tuesday night's game.

All three goals came in the first half. City took the lead on 25 minutes, but weren’t ahead for long, as ‘Boro’ got a leveller, and then the winner eight minutes later. 

The Dolly Blues remain 11th in the NPL Premier Division.

The game was Simon Grand’s second in sole interim charge of the club, following captain and ex-interim manager Andrew Teague’s departure last week.

Lancaster City hope to announce a permanent managerial appointment this month. 

The hosts started brightly, with Dom Lawson giving the Radcliffe defence an early scare, but his effort went wide.

Matty Clarke, who made an excellent impact as a substitute in Lancaster’s previous home game against Atherton Collieries, got a shot away on the edge of the 18-yard box but Radcliffe’s ‘keeper Mateusz Hewelt got his hands to it.

Andre Mendes did well to come out and gather the ball in a one on one situation against striker Jordan Hulme, before tipping the ball away from the goalmouth moments later following a dangerous low ball into the box.  

An unmarked Hulme had another chance just past the halfway mark of the first 45.

The Radcliffe faithful thought it was in, but the forward’s effort trickled wide of the far post.  

Lancaster took the lead on the 25th minute, and it was a beautifully taken goal by Charlie Bailey. 

He received the ball roughly 20 yards out, cut inside and guided an effort round the Radcliffe defender and straight into the bottom right corner, far out of Hewelt’s reach. 

However, the visitors equalised just three minutes later.

A nicely worked move ended with a ball into the box from Jordan Hulme, which Brad Jackson controlled and left to Willem Tomlinson to lash home from mere yards out. 

Radcliffe turned the game on its head eight minutes later, but in controversial circumstances.

Oli Thornley’s long ball down the centre of the pitch found Helme, who slotted home and made it 14 goals for the season, but there were strong appeals for offside. 

Chances were few and far between in the first 20 to 25 minutes of the second half, with Lancaster growing increasingly frustrated by the height of the Radcliffe backline.

Dom Lawson outmuscled a defender to regain the ball high up the pitch, then crossed it into the box, aiming for substitute Jake Connelly, but he couldn’t quite provide the finishing touch. 

With around 15 minutes left, there was havoc in the Radcliffe box as a delivery into the mix found Simon Grand, who poked an effort across the face of goal, but the Radcliffe defence just about managed to clear the ball before a City boot could get to it.

Lancaster continued to push for an equaliser right until the end, and could’ve got it with the final attack of the game. 

Simon Grand nodded the ball across the box towards Dom Lawson whose first touch effort was blocked on the line by a Radcliffe defender. 

It’s a disappointing result for Lancaster, but only their second loss in 11 games. 

The Dolly Blues’ next game is another clash at The Giant Axe, this time against fifth placed Hyde United on Saturday (January 13)


Lancaster City: Mendes, S Bailey (c, Kilifin 86’), Brownhill, Cowperthwaite (Connelly 60’), Grand, Barnes, Clarke (Evangelinos 76’), Sloan, Lawson, Norris, C Bailey

Subs not used: Holland-Wilkinson, Deighan

More from Local Sport

Recently Played Songs

Up next on Beyond Radio