A man has been bailed after he was arrested on suspicion of racially abusing a Barrow AFC staff member during the game with Morecambe earlier this week.
Cumbria Police are continuing to investigate an alleged incident, during the fixture between the two sides at Holker Street on Tuesday (October 31).
A 70-year-old man was arrested during the game, and has since been bailed pending further enquiries.
In a statement to Beyond Radio, a spokesperson for Cumbria Police said: ‘’(We) are investigating an incident of a racially aggravated hate crime that occurred during the Barrow AFC V Morecambe FC football match in Barrow.
‘’A 70-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated Section 4a Public Order Act.
‘’There is no charge at this stage.
‘’If anyone witnessed the incident and has yet to come forward, we would urge them to do so. You can report online at www.cumbria.police.uk/reportit. You can also phone on 101.
‘’He’s been released on bail whilst investigations continue.’’
In a brief statement following the game, Morecambe Football Club said: ‘’We are aware of an incident that has taken place at this evening's match with Barrow.
‘’Until full details and understanding of the incident have been made clear, the club will not be making any further comment at this time.
‘’Morecambe FC stands against all forms of discrimination.’’
Barrow AFC also issued a statement, adding: ‘’We are aware of an allegation of racist abuse being directed at a Barrow AFC staff member during Tuesday evening’s Sky Bet League Two fixture at The So Legal Stadium.
‘’The club would like to make it absolutely clear that we abhor discrimination in all its forms and will take the strongest action possible, including pursuing life bans, for anyone found guilty of racism.
‘’We will be conducting a thorough investigation and would appeal to any fans who may have witnessed any discriminatory abuse to please come forward.
‘’We would like to thank Barrow AFC Stewards and Barrow police for their swift actions in identifying the individual.’’