On Air Now

Non Stop Beyond

Midnight - 6:00am

Now Playing

Lancaster to Barrow rail line will be closed for several more weeks

Images: Network Rail

The Lancaster to Barrow rail line will be closed until at least April 21 as repair works continue following last month’s derailment.

Specialist teams have successfully moved the train after the incident near Grange, and now repair work is continuing.

Around 150m away from the derailment location, a void in the ground has opened. Network Rail is working with the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) to determine the cause of the void and the train derailment.

Passengers are advised that disruption on the Furness Line between Lancaster and Barrow is set to continue for a number of weeks.

Related story:

De-railed Lancaster-Barrow train lifted back onto tracks by crane as line remains closed 

A rail replacement service is running between Barrow-in-Furness and Lancaster, in both directions. Northern said services running between Windermere and Manchester Airport, and between Barrow-in-Furness and Workington are not affected by the incident.

Journey times will be extended by approximately 90 minutes when travelling using rail replacement transport.

A Network Rail spokesperson said: "We are expecting the line to reopen by the end of the month. The work taking place over the next few days is critical in determining a more accurate timeline.

"Once this is established, we will be able to advise passengers of a reopening date. It is expected the line will be closed until at least 21 April, however, due to the complex nature of the issue, it is difficult to say for sure at this stage."

More from Local News

Recently Played Songs