On Air Now

Non Stop Beyond

Midnight - 6:00am

Now Playing

Five

Lets Dance

Council pledge to keep Platform open after budget rethink

Lancaster City Council has pledged to keep The Platform open until at least April 2024, after revising its budget plans for the forthcoming year.

Lancaster City Council’s cabinet has revised its budget proposals to ensure the long term sustainable future for the Platform entertainment venue in Morecambe following public feedback.

In their draft budget for 2023/24, cabinet members had proposed that the council should no longer operate the building as an entertainment enue from October 2023, saving £150,000 a year.

At the cabinet meeting last night (Tuesday February 7) members were told that additional budget savings had been identified elsewhere.  These would substantially reduce the savings required from the Platform, allowing it to continue to operate until April 2024.

Related: 

Morecambe political group reveals plan to save Platform and Visitor Information Centre

Top rock singer launches campaign to save Morecambe concert venue

Councillor Anne Whitehead, cabinet member with responsibility for finance, said: “Our intention was always to keep the Platform available as a venue.  We recognise just how committed local people are to its future for community events as well as entertainment so we are happy to use this funding to maintain the programme to 2024.

“Alongside the continued Platform programme, we will undertake discussions with external parties who might be interested in taking on the operation of the Platform and we will look at ways we can reduce the gap between our subsidy and the income generated.”

The budget proposals will now go forward to full council on Wednesday February 22 for approval.

More from Local News

Recently Played Songs